- Understand what goes into an effective Management Action Plan and how to build one.
- Learn to assess and manage risk in your operation.
- Learn to think strategically about your business and the future of your operation.
The AFMP is designed to help you take your farm business management to a higher level. Over the course of five sessions, you will work with industry specialists and farming peers to improve your business management plan and successfully implement it on your farm.
Farmers enrolling in the program will attend five one-day training sessions at the same location, over a three to four month period. Please see “locations” for upcoming courses.
During each session you will work with farm management specialists as you discuss key business management concepts and fundamentals. You will also learn from other farmers in small-group shared learning sessions where you will apply these concepts to a case study.
At the end of each day you will be asked to take what you have learned and apply it to your own farm using AFMP business templates and submit it to the instructor for review and comment. Your plan will remain confidential.
At the end of the program, you will have a completed Management Action Plan (MAP) for your farm business plus additional skills, knowledge and insights to effectively implement it.
After completing the AFMP you will receive a certificate celebrating your achievement and become part of a program that will play an important role in the future success of many Ontario farmers.
How Will Your Farm Business Benefit?
The AFMP is designed to help you think strategically about your business, build a strong Management Action Plan, and provide you with practical knowledge and insights to improve the everyday management of your operation.
- Learn about personal leadership, how you work best and how to work with and motivate others.
- Learn how to build a management team that will take your operation to the next level.
- Find out how business structure impacts your farm business.
- Improve your understanding of financial statements and taxation.
- Build a Human Resources plan that benefits your farm.
- Calculate your business’s key financial ratios and find out how your operation is performing.
- Learn how to design a commodity marketing plan that will help you manage risk on your farm.
- Develop a scorecard to monitor and track your farm’s financial performance.
- Take action and effectively implement your Management Action Plan.